Saturday, July 10, 2004

Mother's Day

Mother's Day... a day set aside each May to remember your mother, appreciate her, bring her flowers, cards, and let her have her day.

Mother's Day this year was anything but those things for me. I don't really recall why, but I just know that I spent the day doing laundry and cleaning the house. It was just another day at my house. Travis and Alex were with their Dad that day, although Travis did bring me flowers that morning - very sweet.

A few weeks after mother's day, Jacob would go around the house singing "Rain, Rain go away, come again on Mother's Day". I'm not sure where he learned that, but it made me laugh.

I laughed a lot today. It did anything but rain - first real day of summer I would like to think. The sun was shining, it was hot but not sticky.

The boys and I got up a little later than normal, packed a picnic lunch, grabbed all the outside toys we could imagine and set off for the park. We played baseball for a little while. I was "all-time" pitcher as I had Kyle in a pack on my back! When it was time to feed the baby, the boys played on the playground. Then it was lunch time.

We escaped to the shelter at the park where there was picnic tables to sit on. We had a nice lunch that Travis packed in the morning. All the essentials, including "those little green things" as Jacob calls grapes. While we ate lunch, we realized how hot it was getting outside and decided it would be a good day to go swimming.

Time to pack up our picnic lunch and all the outside toys you can imagine and head home for a quick change and then off to the auquatic center.

Surprisingingly, it wasn't very crowded today at all. The boys had a blast swimming and just soaking in the pool. Even Kyle let me take him in. Jacob loved the water until the sun went behind a cloud and then he was "fweezing" and wanted to head home.

Two hours later, we were home.

After a nice spaghetti dinner, the boys went outside to play with the girls next door for a bit. This gave Kyle and I a little quiet time. It's funny, I was so tired and exhausted by our busy morning, but yet the boys seemed to maintain this energy level that was incredible. I guess I really am getting old.

When nighttime and mosquito time arrived, the boys came in and we watched the movie "Good Boy". This is an adorable movie. To all you dog lover's - this is a must see.

As the movie finished and the popcorn bowls were taken to the kitchen sink, Jacob climbed up on my lap. "Mama, huggy" he said. He tells me this when he wants to give me a hug and a kiss. So he wrapped his arms around my neck and squeezed really hard and then kissed me.

"Happy Mother's Day" he told me.

"Thank you" I smiled.

I guess Mother's Day can be any day.

Mine was today.

No comments: