Friday, July 09, 2004

Jacob the Entertainer

From sun up to sun down, Jacob truly is a form of entertainment.

The morning started with me tryind desperately to wake him up so I could get him some breakfast and change him into his clothes before the babysitter was set to arrive at 9:30 a.m. Now, I realize that this doesn't sound very early, so it should be pretty easy. However, Jacob is a night owl. In fact, I prefer to call him my "I hate stupid night time" kid. He wishes that daytime would last forever and blames me everynight for making it "stupid nighttime".

This morning I found an easy way to wake him; I mentioned the two little words that he loves more than anything else in the world "your brothers". As soon as he realizes that his two older brothers are in the house, he's out of bed quicker than you can bat an eyelash.

This morning, breakfast was eaten in record time and clothes were changed in less than a half an hour. He was sure there would be plenty of time to play DK - his favorite N64 game - before his brothers would have to leave to go to their aunt's house for the day. With a little probing, I was able to get his brothers to agree.

After 15 minutes, it was time to go and then the drama began. He cries, and cries, and cries... "I just want my brothers to stay home and play all day. It's your fault mama". Yes, this is the morning routine at my house.

So, I pull out the Play Dough and assure him that one of the two girls I have babysitting this week will play Play Dough with him. He smiles, hugs me and says "Good-bye mama. Have good day at work." And off he goes.

When I arrive home 7 hours later, he's laughing and in his glory with his pretty 16 year old babysitter, who he loves. Later I ask him if she's his new girlfriend. He informs me that "when I'm 8 then Whitney(his babysitter) says I can have a girlfriend". "I see," I tell him as he climbs in the car to go pick up his brothers.

15 minutes later, his brothers are in the car along with their cousin Cory. Let the entertainment begin. Jacob begins singing songs and carrying on and on about this and that. "He sure is entertaining" Cory says. Jacob infoms him that he knows he is and continues to make everyone in the car laugh hysterically the rest of the ride home.

We take his older brother and Cory to a youth dance and head for home. Alex, my 8 year old, and Jacob carry on playing outside until it gets too dark, then it's off to play DK. Then it arrives. Time to turn off the DK and go to bed. Once again, he cries. "Mama, why do you always have to make it nighttime?" I tell him I'm sorry. "No your not mama, it's your fault. I just hate stupid nighttime." Ah yes, the routine remains true. I again apologize and tell him to come lay in bed with me for a few minutes. "O.k." he sniffles "but I just gonna sit there mama because I am not tired. It's gonna be daytime soon and I'm just gonna wait."

"O.k." I tell him, as I rub his forehead with my hand.

3 minutes later, he's asleep.

Now, that, is entertainment.

No comments: