Wednesday, September 01, 2004

The 4 Hour Nap

As the school year has drawn closer and closer, I have decided, like many parents out there, to begin early bedtimes and early morning routines.

Today, it backfired.

I sent the boys to bed at 8:30 last night. I knew they would be up early but that was o.k - we had to head off for the babysitter's house early anyway.

Jacob woke up promptly at 7:30 a.m. and headed straight for his brother's room. After the disappointing news that his brothers would not be going to the babysitter's house, Jacob began his crying and pouting. It's really a heartbreaking thing to see...

I dropped him off at the babysitter's house and he informed me he was tired. I told him it was o.k if he took a little bit of a nap in the morning if he was that sleepy and if it would help him feel better about his brothers.

I finished work and headed to the sitter's house sometime around 5:00 p.m. When I got there, she informed me that he fell asleep after lunch time, around 12:30 and slept until 4:30!! 4 HOURS!! Knowing it wasn't really her fault, I simply expressed in the future, I would really like to try everything to avoid this, but figured it would be a long night.

After a few hours of playing, it's now almost 10:30 and Jacob just informed me that maybe he might be getting tired, but "probably not yet". He has filled me in on all the crazy things a 4 year old loves. When I told him it was time for his "bedtime business" he told me "You rock, missy". I think he has truly entered "Loopyville" but yet, he's just not ready for bed. He has informed me of every fart he has let loose tonight because he finds them to be the funniest things, he has told me that he had to go poopy because "poopin' is cool". Then he danced around in his underwear because "me likes to be UNDY-BOY".

Did I mention today is my birthday? For my birthday today, I have enjoyed a free night of entertainment all because of a 4 hour nap.

Tomorrow, I'll be tired, but that's o.k. I know that Jacob will nap for me!

No comments: