Saturday, September 18, 2004

Boo? Boo Who?

Young love. Isn't it sweet? My little 4 year old Jacob has had his share in his short little life, but there has only been one Boo. Boo, as we call her, or Rebecca, is the daughter of my best friend Michelle. She is just 3 months younger than Jacob and the two of them have been playing together since before Boo could, well, I guess before Boo could do anything!

Michelle and I have playfully coaching our two children and therefore, the two of them have always referred to the other as their boyfriend/girlfriend. This was very cute when they were little. Now, at 4, Jacob seems to think he knows all about girlfriends and has decided that Boo is NOT his girlfriend anymore.

Michelle watched Jacob and Kyle the other day while I worked. She informed me when I picked them up about a funny little story that happened that day. She had to take the kids in her car to pick up her older two daughters from school.

From the backseat she heard "I love you Jakey" (Jakey is what Boo has always called Jacob). "Yeah, well, I don't love you," Jacob responded. "I said I love you Jakey" Boo said again. "I said I DON"T LOVE YOU" shouted Jacob back at her.

Poor Boo. It hurts when the one you love doesn't love you back...

I asked Jacob about the incident. He informed me that he didn't love Boo anymore and that I was the only one that could be his girlfriend because he only loved me. He then mentioned a little something about Courtlyn. Hmmm... the other woman. Courtlyn is the 4 year old daughter of my new babysitter, Tammy. Now, this explains it all.

So the other night, Michelle calls me, laughing. She tells me that Boo came up to her and said "Mom, Jakey doesn't love me anymore. That's o.k though, he's still my boyfriend even if he doesn't love me".

She's in that denial stage - come on, all you women out there that have had your heart broken, you know right where she is.

Poor little Boo.

Young love... easy come, easy go. Who knows, maybe someday they will be married, going through Jacob's old baby books and will come across this story and laugh! Or maybe it will be Courtlyn and she will secretly think "Ha! Ha! I won!"

No comments: