Sunday, September 19, 2004

A "Bear"-y Special Day

Today was a day our family has been waiting for since the NFL schedule was posted - the big Bear/Packer rivalry game. Travis and Alex are Packer fans as they have grown up in Wisconsin and have learned that is what they should be. Mark, born and raised in Illinois - a Bear fan in the truest form. Me? Well, my heart belongs to the Broncos, but I have adopted the Bears as my team. I have learned it is kind of fun to be a Bear fan in the middle of Packerland!

The morning started with Travis at breakfast, "So mom, are you ready to watch the Bears get crushed today?"

"Oh young son, how you are wrong," I inform him, "the Bears are going to win today."

I said this with a laugh, as I know, the Bears ALWAYS lose.

Game time, I have company so Travis begins watching the game without me. It took no time at all for the Packer's to get on the scoreboard, and no time at all for Travis to inform me.

"The Bears are already losing Mom" he yells from the next room.

I run to see, 3-0. Not too bad, I anticipate this only to get worse.

The room is quiet for quite a while and so I check in to see what is going on. I notice the score, 10-3.

"Hey," I say to Travis, "how is it you can inform me when the Packers score, but you say nothing that the Bears are WINNING?"

He gives me a look.

I laugh.

My company left and I joined him in the living room to watch what turned out to be a very disappointing game for him. I bugged him throughout the game, with each turnover, penalty and Brett Favre interception... he gave me look after look after look. We really had fun.

At the end of the game, I even sang him a little song (to the tune of Happy Birthday)

"Happy Bear Day to me"
"Happy Bear Day to me"
"Happy Bear Day to me"
"Happy Bear Day to me"
"Sad Packer Day to you"
"Sad Packer Day to you"
"Sad Packer Day to you"
"Sad Packer Day to you"

"Very funny" he says to me when I am finished.

"Kyle thought so" I say with a smile as Kyle is smiling right back at me.

I asked him if he was glad to spend the afternoon with his mom for once and enjoy such a good game.

"I guess" he says, "but it would have been nicer if the Packers would've won.

"Maybe" I said.

"Will you play chess with me?" he asks.

I agree and we set the board up to play. 10 minutes later, I win.

"Hey Buddy, guess what? Not only are you having a sad Packer day, but you are having a sad chess day too!" I say with a smile, as I NEVER win when Travis and I play chess.

I agree to one more game and he wins. He looks at me and smiles then says, "At least someone right is winning around here today."

I smile.

You know, there is something about spending an afternoon watching a football game with your kids. It is almost like for those few hours you are on the same page and thinking the same thoughts.

Today, truly was a "Bear-y" special day.

No comments: