Tuesday, August 24, 2004

A Broken Heart

Today was a better day. I didn't have any last minute morning forgetful moments. I didn't have a 2 hour car drive into work when my work is 20 minutes away. In fact, I woke up to a happy baby at 6:00 a.m. and it just made me smile.

I left work on time today - on time being the time I need to leave in time to pick up my children and still get home on time to see Mark before he leaves for work. It was really just a good day.

I arrived at the babysitters to pick up my children and all of them were good today. Alex, Jacob and Kyle were not only good there, but they all had fun. What could be better?

I left the sitters house a little behind schedule. I talk too much so I have been told. It was going to be a tough race to make it home in time to see Mark before he left for work.

I pulled in the driveway as he was walking out the front door. He got to the car and Jacob began to cry. "Don't leave Daddy, Daddy, don't leave!"

Mark made it to the window to assure him that he would wait.

I got to Jacob's car door and he had tears rolling down his cheeks. "Mama," he said sadly,"I can't get out. I am stuck. I am going to miss Daddy. HURRY MAMA!"

I got him out of his seatbelt and he ran to Mark as if it would be the last time he would ever see him.

"Bye Dadda, I love you. I'm gonna miss you."

"Bye Buddy, I'll be home in the morning."

"Dadda?"

"Yes Buddy?"

"Um, Dadda? If you get sad and miss me, and if you cry, just come home, o.k Dadda?"

"O.k. Buddy."

He gave Mark one more last kiss and a "huggy" and then Mark set him down and got in the car. As the car began to pull out of the driveway, Jacob began to get sad and yelled after the car "DADDA! DADDA!"

Mark rolled down the window, "What Buddy?"

"Dadda? I am going to miss you."

"I'll miss you too Buddy" Mark said, "Don't be sad Buddy, Mama is home."

"I know," Jacob said with tears in his eyes, "but I think I am just going to miss you."

With that, Mark blew him a kiss and sent him a hug. Jacob did the same and then the car pulled out of the driveway.

Jacob looked up at me with his big brown tear-filled eyes, "Mama, can I have an icecream cone?"

"You bet Buddy" I replied.

Between you and me? In that moment he could have asked me for anything and I would have gotten it for him.

There is nothing worse than a broken heart, except the broken heart of one of your own children.

No comments: