Friday, August 20, 2004

Big Brother Entertainment

Just yesterday I wondered what it might be like to have a NORMAL 4 year old. I guess I forgot what they talk like and what they talk about... hmmm...

My four year old? Well, he's another story. Typical he is not. I think he has learned all of his latest phrases from his brothers, and maybe from Playstation too.

We were on our way home from picking up his older brother yesterday, when Jacob belts out from the van "Go Travy, it's your birthday, Go Travy". In his next breath,I hear him tell Travis all about playing "Harry Potter" with the babysitter. He told him that Alex beat her playing chess and it was "sweet". Then he continued with how he beat her as well and then began to chant "Who's good? Me good. Who's good?" Hmmm... is that what normal 4 year olds talk about? Then again, I guess I am not sure what a normal 4 year old is, but I think they are probably not running around saying "Let's get this party started".

I have just concluded that he learns these things by watching and copying his older brothers. After all, he really looks up to them. Along with all his "clean" entertaining phrases, he occasionally slips in a naughty word - then I know his brothers are teaching more than I would like him to learn.

Jacob is not the only one learning new and entertaining things from his older brothers. Tonight, I was trying to clean up dinner and Kyle was in his high chair. He grows bored with his high chair at a pretty fast pace. At times like this, it's nice to have big brothers around.

Travis was on the entertainment list for the night. He began to do a funny dance for Kyle. Dancing around the kitchen, talking like a baby. Kyle laughed. Travis laughed. I laughed too. I think I laughed more when I thought of how entertaining that would have been to capture on video and play for him when he's 25 and brings home a girlfriend. (Yes, I did say 25, I decided my children won't be dating before then! :)

I am amazed with my boys though. Travis provides entertainment for Kyle on a daily basis. He likes to sing and dance and talk to him. He'll even play hide and seek which Kyle just loves. Alex is Jacob's entertainment. He plays playstation with him and Harry Potter. They will go outside and pretend to play Pokemon for hours. For Alex and Jacob though, their best form of entertainment is still a good old fashioned fight.

I walk into a room and all I see is Jacob sitting on Alex's head and Alex's feet kicking out from under him. There is screaming, crying and a lot of complaining. In the end, there are no broken bones, no blood and no need for hospital visits. I have learned though, that too will come.

So whether the older boys enjoy providing entertainment for the younger ones, I don't really know. But there is one thing I am sure of, the younger ones love the entertainment the older ones provide. And as Jacob would say, "it's too sweet".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that song! "Lets get the party started!". . . My best friend loves it more as it is the song they play before the Laker games. . . .