Thursday, July 30, 2009

Broken Hearts

The other night, my son Jacob called me frantically into his room. There was something there I just had to see.

When I got there, he pointed to this picture hanging on his wall up by his bed.

"Crawl up there Mom, look at it" he says.

So, I very unsteadily climbed up the metal ladder for his bunk bed and viewed the picture on his wall.

It was a picture of a man, woman and child, holding hands happily. Above them it said "Mommy, Daddy & Jacob = Happy Family"

By the time I turned to look at him he was crying.

"Why Mommy, why did you have to ask Daddy to leave?"

Understanding that most children at 9 shouldn't know half the things he knows, I tried to explain to him that Mommy and Daddy fought all the time and we weren't happy and I cried a lot and that just wasn't good for any of us.

"She did cry you know" my little Kyle piped in.

"But you could have just done it for us Mom, Daddy promised you would never get divorced. Now you lied to me. You lied Mom"

What do you say at a time like this.

"I'm sorry Baby" I told him.

"Get off my bed now" he said "I need you to leave my room."

I didn't know what more to say so I climbed down off his bed and went to my room and felt like a baby myself. I curled up in a ball on my bed and cried and cried.

I heard my door open a little bit and I saw my 5 year old standing there. He ran up and hugged me tighter than I think he ever has before and started crying too.

"It's o.k Mommy," he said, "Don't cry. I love you"

A few minutes later Jacob appeared in my door too...

"Boy," he said,"we are all a bunch of crying weirdos."

Before you knew it we were all hugging and laughing...

No comments: