Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Even at the Grocery Store

Anyone that tells you taking your children to the grocery store adds money to your bill and a little stress to the trip, is not lying, usually!

I typically tend to shop when my children at home... wait, let me correct that, I usually tend to shop when my older boys are at home to watch my little ones... I find that I can get in, get what I need and get out with a whole lot less stress and a lot less money spent on things like junk food.

Monday, I picked my boys up from school and now because I no longer live right in town, it only made sense to run to the store while in town for the few things I needed for dinner.  I was going for taco shells, sour cream and lettuce. 

Well, Jacob and Kyle came in with me and though they did not add to the list too much personally, they tried.  Funny though, they add things like apples, bananas, and poptarts. 

Jacob was in a particular mood.  Something about him.  He likes to take care of me and likes to know everything about everything I do.  So when I put the celery in the cart, he asked me, "Who eats celery Mama?"

I informed him that I do and wanted to buy some to help me with my diet.

"Oh, you are on a diet Mama?  Good.  I know you think you are fat" he smiled "I didn't know you were on a diet."

We continued through the store and, yes, I did buy a few things I hadn't planned on but since their snacks usually are things like string cheese, chocolate milk and apples, I couldn't complain.

When we reached the check out, Jacob was sure to inform our cashier that I was on a diet.  It was funny.  He told her that he was being helpful to me because it was good for my diet.  I was so thankful that I had picked my friend Janice's check out lane.  She found Jacob and Kyle to be entertaining I think.  They were both being so goofy.

The best part of the trip was when I was pushing the cart out to the car.  Kyle was standing on the cart in front of me and Jacob was hanging on the back.  Just like that, he looked at me with that funny Jacob smile and started flapping his arms...

"I a bird Mommy" he said in a cute baby-talk, "Look Mommy, I flying away".

I couldn't help but laugh and laugh and laugh some more...

And I thought I was going to regret having to take them to the store with me.

It made my day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its nice to see you writing again. I used to love taking the kids to the grocery store. I remember one time Stephen, who was probably five or six at the time, commented to Janet that "Slim fast is on sale and that you could probably... oh never mind." I never laughed so hard in my life. Janet was not as appreciative of the humor.